City of San Mateo Updated Community Development Department (CDD) Services
City of San Mateo’s Community Development Department has opened its new self-service online permit center! The city is now accepting, reviewing, receiving payments, and issue planning entitlements and building permits securely online.
- COVID-19 Safety Protocols During Shelter-in-Place Order
- Large Construction Project Safety Protocol and Small Construction Project Safety Protocol (Adapted from APPENDIX B-2 of the April 29, 2020 Order of the San Mateo County Health Officer)
- Building Inspection Site Social Distance Protocols
- City Hall Social Distancing for City Hall Visitors
Building Permits - Available Online
- All construction activities are permitted.
- Online building permit applications and building permit submittals and inquiries are available on our Citizen Self-Service (CSS) Portal.
Virtual and In-Person Inspections
- Previously cancelled or requested inspections will be completed first.
- New inspection requests can be submitted using the Citizen Self-Service (CSS) Portal and will be scheduled starting May 7, 2020.
- Virtual and in-person inspections are being conducted. See a list of virtual inspections being performed.
- Contact (650) 522-7172 or building.info@
cityofsanmateo.org for questions.
Virtual Code Consultations - By Appointment Only
- Coordinated building permit code consultations for building, fire and zoning code will be scheduled remotely by appointment only Monday-Friday, 9:00am-12:00pm. Appointments will be made on a first come first serve basis in 20-minute increments.
- Request a code consultation appointment by emailing building.info@
- We are accepting new planning applications online at our Citizen Self-Service (CSS) Portal. Staff will continue processing pending planning and building permit applications.
- Zoning code consultations will be scheduled remotely by appointment only Monday - Friday, 9:00am-12:00pm. All appointments will be made on a first come first serve basis in 20-minute increments.
- Due to social distancing guidelines, no in-person activities or workshops are scheduled.
To view San Mateo’s Official Updated Notice, Click HERE.